Thursday, September 14, 2006

New feature coming

Beginning soon, Eyes Not Sold will begin a new feature entitled "From the notebook of..." Recently, in closing down my parent's house, I found a notebook/journal written by my Grandmother. There is a tradition of privacy on this side of my family and I will not use her name. What I will say is this. My grandmother was born in 1891 and died in 1983. She lived in North Carolina and spent her adult life in a town of 2000 people where she was, for 52 years, the piano teacher. While she by necessity lived modestly, she was wealthy in spirit, intellect, friends and family. The notebook that I found was kept, somewhat haphazardly, from 1961-1972. It is not large, and is filled with many varying entries: lists of books that she read in a given year; one year's Christmas gift list; another year's Christmas card list; drafts of her speeches to the local historical society; lyrics to various songs that she or her students would play; lists of people that she met and what they did; and lots more. Interspersed among all of this are quotations that she found interesting enough to write in the notebook. These quotes, sayings, brief poems, and brief stories are what "From the notebook of..." will be all about. Quite a few of the quotes and sayings relate to a perspective on getting older, but there's much more than that. If there is a source noted for any quote I will include it. If any explanatory note is needed I will add it in parentheses. Otherwise this will be an unedited regular dose of my Grandmother's notebook quotations.

I must note that this new feature of the revived Eyes Not Sold may seem inconsistent with comments about markets, the economy, politics, and Iraq. It is.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home