Wednesday, April 01, 2009

"I've loved you so long"

Finally caught up with this film which I had at first passed on due to its grim sounding synopsis. As many reviewers have said, it's exceptional. There are performances large and small that are just right, with the two most extraordinary being the lead actress and an actor in a supporting role as a probation officer. The story is somewhat predictable and at times the devices to pull at the viewers emotions might be a little too transparent but those characteristics are trivial, overwhelmed by the impact of the film and the many scenes that are memorable in and of themselves.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok about the movie, but where's that kickin' post you had last week that was called dreams that keep me up for 90 minutes or something like that. Somebody I don't know anymore than I know you sent me that and now I can't find it.

2:42 PM  
Blogger John Borden said...

Dear Anonymous,
It's gone, deleted along with another short post, both written late at night in a moment of frustration, written as if I were talking to close friends late at night in a way that was a little profane, politically incorrect, and meant to get a laugh or to provoke for a reaction. Here's more of this story.

Two days after the posts "Alex Castellanos is a malevolent idiot" and "Dreams that keep me up every 90 minutes" were written, I had second thoughts about how angry and harsh they were. Delete was hit. Story not over. The next day my blog was shut down by Google because one of their oversight programs thought that Eyes Not Sold was a "spam blog". They acknowledged that this may not be the case, so stunned as I was, I asked for a review and within 24 hours was back up. Still it was perplexing. A free host like Blogspot has almost zero functionality as far as identifying users, but I found with some searching an interesting marker. It appears that the post you are looking for had around 250,000 views in two days.

So after plodding along with this unadorned blog that I enjoy, and one that has built some following, I write a spontaneous, caustic, and off color post in no more than three minutes and get more hits than I probably receive in a year. Who knows.

Catch a few people's attention with either humor or something that probes their resentments or both, they distribute and the chain can get big. This makes some talk radio hosts millions.

5:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home