Friday, May 09, 2014

Mojo Nixon's mother

Driving around Long Island yesterday, we were listening to the Sirius XM radio show Outlaw Country hosted by Danville, Va native Mojo Nixon.  On this program it is customary for there to be sound bites from both well known and obscure country and western musicians, usually promoting Outlaw Country as well as making crude and profane remarks about Mojo, in Outlaw Country's style of humor.  Half listening at first as we headed to LL Dent, I tuned in as a female voice began talking about Mojo.  She said he was born Neil Kirby McMillan, grew up in a supportive and stable family which always attended Mount Vernon United Methodist Church, made a few more remarks saying that she didn't really know this Mojo Nixon, and concluded by saying, "I don't know what happened".

Early on I realized that it was a recording of Mojo's mother.  She was a good friend of my mother at church and in various women's groups around town.  She had a since of humor as did Mojo's father who died way too soon.  If my mother was still with us, I would have loved to have shared this with her.  She would have laughed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home