Friday, November 03, 2006

From the notebook of...passing it on

In the last six weeks this blog has included quotes from my Grandmother's notebook. There are many quotes and comments remaining but it's time to pass it on. It was a discovery in my parent's house, but it is a family event, so next week I will pass it on to a cousin in North Carolina. What has been published here on Eyes Not Sold is certainly indicative of the sensibility of the exceptional personality of my Grandmother.

I close with two comments. First, there were and remain quotes from Ogden Nash and others that are, in a sense, cute. My Grandmother was, without question, amused by these quotes(in high school she sent me two paperback books by Bob Hope), but this was not her nature. She was opinionated, informed, active, and she could discuss almost anything in a wryly humorous way, but she was definitely not into cute. She was the first person that I ever knew who read the New Yorker, whether a subscription which would have been an extravagence in the 50's or from the library, it was a mainstay of her front porch reading. Second, there is a page in the "notebook" with the Dylan Thomas poem "Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night" that is written in impeccable script with a fountain pen. My mother had told me that this was my Grandmother's favorite poem, and it's there in bold.

And I pass it on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home