Monday, December 25, 2006

Goodbye James Brown

James Brown leaves us on Christmas Day. It was the winter of 1966 at the Greensboro Coliseum that I saw a performance that was so amazing and energized that it left me, and I think the entire audience, mesmerized and exhausted. Never had seen anything like it, my first live music spiritual experience. On and off the stage, wrapped in his cape, led by attendants, new capes, charging back on to the stage over and over again, audience becoming increasingly hysterical, cape into the crowd, scarf into the crowd, more and more...please, please, please.

1 Comments:

Blogger John Borden said...

Julie, I don't know about the East End folklore around James Brown, but it is true that he came to Danville year end year out in from the mid-50's to the mid 60's for, as far a I knew, a black only audience. I don't know what happened there, but in a small town I think that I would have heard or read about any violence. Nevertheless I seemingly had to go 50 miles south to a multiracial venue to see him.

4:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home