Friday, December 02, 2011

College loans to pay back

In response to my latest blog, 99?, there were several responses that referenced college loans to pay back. I will not get into defending major investment banks for some of their practices or their compensation, but college loans are just a basic function of the most traditional banks.

Are banks now expected to be government utilities that give away money for students to attend college? If college becomes unaffordable there are many community colleges around the country that can give a good education for the first two years, perhaps in some cases better than major universities because their teachers are not burdened by publishing and administative demands. They can just teach.

In getting my MBA at age 31 I was the beneficiary of a full student loan from the now departed First National Bank of Louisville. I was gratified to receive it and was 40 years old when it was completely repaid. I had no resentments.

This culture of something for nothing, for no obligation, is confounding to me. I resent being considered part of any 99% and I am not bringing in millions or basking in some kind of luxury. I would like to think that I am a responsible citizen, with some flaws like many of us would say if we were honest, but responsible and a supporter of charitable causes, responsible government, and the obligation to repay what one has agreed to do. How simple is that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home