Sunday, February 19, 2012

"Old friends"

Yesterday I met up with some old friends that I had not seen in five years. We talked non-stop for a couple of hours over coffee, tea, and sweets at the Cafe Fledermaus in the Neu Galleries on 5th near the Metropolitan Museum.

As I thought about our nice afternoon get-together, the phrase "old friends" is something that came to mind with some reticence. Forever in my vernacular, "old friends" meant people that I have known and kept in touch with for a long time. Now, from a different perspective, could it be that I am an old friend meeting with old friends and the meaning could suggest that we are actually old.

When I was a child and into my twenties for sure, someone in their sixties was age-wise viewed as old. Now I am unwilling to give into that designation for myself or for my friends. I think that the better choice from now on will be "long time friends" and avoiding that word old is a good idea.

While we did compare balky right knees and laughed about planning for our "golden years", our energy was not old. As to the time we are in, one of my friends commented, with a penetratingly pleasant smile, that these are our "golden years" -- an interesting thought that made me pause to think about what's eventually ahead.

That thought was quashed as quickly as possible by a bite of Viennese apricot chocolate cake with whipped cream.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home