Tuesday, March 31, 2015

A taxing night

With an early doctor's appointment for K tomorrow, I went to bed early, or tried to do so.  Early bedtime is always a mistake and can send my mind reeling into unpleasant territory.  Tonight it was taxes, as all documents are expected by our wonderful accountant early Thursday, to discuss and for his analysis.

Having had an exhausting day, so much so that walking up the stairs was a concentrated effort, bedtime was a highly unusual 10pm.  It seemed like a reasonable idea at the time, having just fallen asleep while reading downstairs.  K was already asleep, preparing for our very early wake up time tomorrow. Getting into bed, I stretched and then just fidgeted, turned from my back to my side and back, fussed with the pillows, threw the comforter off and then pulled it back on, and worried about when the taxes would get fully assembled in an orderly way, taxes for K and I and both daughters.  The schedule was packed.

After two hours of restlessness and nothing else, as always happens in situations like this giving up on sleep is the only answer.  Trudging downstairs and having thought through exactly which desk to use and how to organize my work, staples, clips, folders, pads, while lying in bed, I had no choice but to get to work.  I was too tired to do anything else.  In this state of complete no-nonsense drudgery, the work was completed in not much more than an hour and a half without one pause for the kitchen or bathroom, about one quarter of the time that I feared while lying in bed in anguish.  There are still a few loose ends, but nothing that can be done about that now.

Now we get back to the question of falling asleep, but with at least the worry of the night already put to bed.  Or will there be more?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home