Friday, February 24, 2012

Ode to Skin Cancer - melody to be imagined, a slow country swing

Oh Hello Efudex
My faithful RX
Burning that cancer off my face
Leaving bright red marks in their place
Application is oh so easy
Helping to avoid a biopsy
Which on the face can cause significant bleeds
And that's something no one needs
Oh hello Efudex
My faithful RX
May you always cure
And then I can be sure
That the Doc won't carve up my face
And leave scars in their place
But even that has an answer
Not one that my main Doc can offer
That's plastic surgery and many tiny stitches
Something that takes lots of time and then pulls and itches
Oh hello Efudex
My faithful RX
Let's get this behind us one more time
And put an end to this silly rhyme
Can we bring it on home now
To past wonderful Southern summers that explain how
A shirtless little boy was outside through thick and thin
Turning a cocoa brown over a very fair skin.


Now I am an annuity for my dermatologist for over 30 years, longer than most annuities on the market. Everything above has been experienced, basil cell, squama cell, and melanoma, and plastic surgery to remove one dangerously close to my left eye. Today I also found out that I once again have Grover's disease, which cheerfully can only remind me of the Muppets despite the itchy rash on my back and chest. I sometimes wonder if the protective layer of the atmosphere that shielded us from the worst of the sun's rays was already beginning to break down as early as the 1950's. Who knows.

At least I have a great dermatologist, a gentleman and a scholar as they say, and a noted artist and film maker as well, with much of his work devoted to the preservation of the history of Judaism in Prague.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home