Saturday, April 27, 2013

Facebook is going too far, making unreasonable suggestions...

Facebook is beginning to annoy me, that is not a strong enough word, with its invasive approach to its timeline and related contents.  Today it picked up a part of a blog that was written on my Google blog, not forwarded by me so how I don't know.  It was nothing embarrassing but what the hell and how are they taking parts of my Google blog and posting them on my timeline.  It's confusing to those who follow my work as well.  It's inexplicable.

Six months ago Amazon became a regular contributor to my main Facebook page.  Why, how?  I am a regular user of Amazon but never requested that it be linked to Facebook.  The same thing has happened with my graduate business school, Thunderbird.  They are not as prolific as Amazon and they are informative rather than just advertising, but I never "friended" that organization or asked for their inclusion on my Facebook page.  Now Etrade sponsored advertisements are showing up in the main chain of posts.  Have I ever "friended" Etrade?

The worst change of late by far is the "suggestions" link at the end of the timeline listings.  "Suggestions" for books, movies, televison shows, music, all as if they know what I would like.  They have no real insight into me, but they could give that impression.  Most of the dreck they recommend is of no interest to me, but a casual reader may misinterpret that.  When Netflix does this, give suggestions, they are actually based on derived information from my likes, dislikes, and usage.  Not Facebook.

Following that are the few photos that I have on Facebook(that's ok) and then this completely incomplete map of places that I have lived.  Thank goodness it is incomplete.  In this world of information stealers and creative users who wants all of that information public.

The worst, worst by far is the final section.  That's an extensive list of "suggested likes", probably 80% of which I do not like.  Many of my suggested likes are books and people as right wing and anti-libertarian as you could find.  Is this Facebook's attempt at an understanding of me.  If so, they are either incompetent or corrupt.

The final insult is that my few actual chosen "likes" are separated from the suggested likes only by being on the bottom line, without any annotation or even a space break.  No one could tell the difference unless they know me.

I have another big question about Facebook but that will wait until tomorrow.  For now the decision is coming down to whether just deleting this "service" or trying to change it.  Their current timeline work is insulting. 

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This advertising on the main page is growing day by day. I look forward to the Wendy's dollar menu showing up. What percent of that dollar will Facebook get. Can't help but think that they are rushing the attempt to monetize their business. Relax folks there, it will come to you, you don't need to force it, you have many users. This is sound advice from a former IR pro.

3:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home