Sunday, January 01, 2012

A New Year's Day lunch to bring good luck and more

Following a long southern tradition, that I have never previously followed, today for lunch I had blackeyed peas, collard greens, and pork chops. Southern folklore suggests that blackeyed peas should be eaten on New Year's Day in order to bring luck and prosperity in the New Year. The greens represent money, and if cornbread is available that represents gold. Pork is of course the meat of choice for this type of meal as it flavors both vegetables. I added a little potato salad to my plate so I hope that didn't hoodoo this voodoo.

Whatever it takes, a little more luck is never a bad thing. I enjoy that type of food and my heart can handle it. I do admit to feeling a bit sluggish after such a lunch but the peas are supposed to come as early in the day as possible.

I looked up the origin of this still honored food ritual and apparently it began when Sherman's army trashed the South in 1865. What food in the fields or farm animals they did not want for themselves, they destroyed. Fortunately they ignored the lowly blackeyed pea that was originally grown to feed livestock and slaves, and as a great source of protein it became an essential foodstuff for all at that time. From that time forward this tradition linking blackeyed peas and good fortune took hold. Who knows if that's true really, it's what the search engines tell me.

For what it's worth it was a terrific if unusual lunch, and with good luck no doubt just around the corner it may be worth something as well.

Now to go pick up a Lotto ticket.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home